I am Karen Reddington-Hughes
Karen Reddington-Hughes has lived and worked in Woodbury, Connecticut since 1990. She is a two-term Selectman for the Town of Woodbury and has owned and operated Abrash Galleries on Main Street for the past 18 years. She is married to John Hughes, a graduate of the US Naval Academy and former US Naval Officer. Their son John is a graduate of Nonnewaug High School.
- Library Board of Trustees
- Flanders Nature Center Art Committee
- Connecticut Summer Opera Foundation, Founding Member; Board of Directors
- Pomperaug River Watershed Coalition
- Woodbury Antiques Dealers Association, President
- Woodbury Connecticut Chamber of Commerce, President
- Woodbury Junior Women’s Club
- Woodbury Business and Economic Development Committee, Chairman
- Western Connecticut Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Rosenberg Award for Community Service
- Governors Award for Tourism Partner of the Year
- The Campaign School at Yale
- Connecticut Community Foundation-
Western Connecticut Leadership Program
- Charter Oak Leadership Program
During her tenure as President of the Woodbury Antiques Dealers Association, Karen worked with Senator Rob Kane to establish the Connecticut Antiques Trail. Many visits to Hartford and two Senate Bills later, the trail was established. With passage of the legislation complete, Karen worked with Economic Development and Department of Transportation leaders to ensure funding and placement of signage was authorized. As a result, Connecticut tourism marketing could promote the state’s respected antiques industry alongside the popular wine trail.
As the Chairman of Woodbury’s Business and Economic Development Committee, Karen coordinated the effort to publish a guide promoting Woodbury and its businesses. The self-funded project received state-wide accolades when Reader’s Digest designated Woodbury “Most Charming Small Town in Connecticut”.
In 2018, Karen received the State of Connecticut Governors Award for Tourism Partner of the Year. The award was presented in recognition of the excellent marketing efforts of both the Connecticut Antiques Trail and the Town of Woodbury.
Karen has participated in state-level tourism focus groups and Economic Development summits throughout the region.